IDEA 4 A COMP (DJ friendly tracks for a mix)

Here you can list what you have to offer, and what you need.

Re: IDEA 4 A COMP (DJ friendly tracks for a mix)

Postby Orca » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 am

I think it should be "give or take 5 bpm"... a 20 bpm tempo change for a handful of tracks in a mix is a lot. 5 bpm can be very easily time stretch or pitch shifted.
Orca
Alumni

Postby Cheomap » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Here Here Orca... i agree.
i'm down to go along with the majority.... with the theme, if that's what y'all want to do...

i still want to sneak in some spoken word from a movie or two tho **** like sneaky [blues]

So far.....
Submissions.. plan on making more than one track!! hook it up!
BPM 130. give or take 5 bpm
Theme... tv shows & or themes..
DJ - TBA
Visuals - Mina

and how about we MockRadar invite card.. to promote the project?
And let's decide on a 'first-wave' deadline.. (& see how many tracks we get...)
we'll run a second-wave if we need more [mik]
Just like the Moon, i too would never turn my back on this world.
Cheomap
Founder

Postby Mina » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 pm

@Cheo : the "tv" theme is just a suggestion, I had a lot of ideas to give about it, but as I don't participate in any music way, maybe everyone involved should give it's input... I don't have any right or pretention to influence your creative music feeling ;)
but of course, having a theme is very important I think, it really helps having a unity in the work :)
Mina
Founder

Postby Cheomap » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Well you know what? it was your idea, so i think you got plenty of right to influence away... and seeing as how you are gonna do some nice visuals for it.....
i think i wanna use Bear Stain Bear's "closely" in it..... Bob Barker FTW.... i have to find the youtube video i sampled that from & send you the link Mina.... would be good for the visual part, no?

Oh, and the movie samples i wanted to use in a dif track actually reference a tv show..... so i think it would be legal submission [siffle]
Cheomap
Founder

Postby Alojzy Kowalczyk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Cheomap wrote:legal

Oh no, don't swear like that! This is a motherfucking family friendly board.

EDIT:
Something relevant: I'll probably do a mutated house-remix of the Johnny Staccato-theme. Fuck yeah!
Alojzy Kowalczyk
Alumni

Postby Vojeet » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:55 am

I like this idea very much, but what refrain me from doing a remix of a tv theme etc. is the copyright. To defend one action is enough for me.
Vojeet
El Capitan

Postby Mina » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 am

@Cheo : thanks for this ;) Well I guess I'm gonna get used to be involved in music projects now <3 I love this forum!!! [clapping]

@Vojeet : you make a very good point here! It's been years I "study" legal rights for my visual works, but the mains points in my works are that, first, the laws actually don't really care about VJ'ing, and, secondly, I never sell my videos, expect I create it all, I just sell my "technical and scenic performance" when I do a set :)

found on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix#Copy ... plications) :
"Because remixes may borrow heavily from an existing piece of music (possibly more than one), the issue of intellectual property becomes a concern. The most important question is whether a remixer is free to redistribute his or her work, or whether the remix falls under the category of a derivative work according to, for example, United States copyright law. Of note are open questions concerning the legality of visual works, like the art form of collage, which can be plagued with licensing issues.
There are two obvious extremes with regard to derivative works. If the song is substantively dissimilar in form (for example, it might only borrow a motif which is modified, and be completely different in all other respects), then it may not necessarily be a derivative work (depending on how heavily modified the melody and chord progressions were). On the other hand, if the remixer only changes a few things (for example, the instrument and tempo), then it is clearly a derivative work and subject to the copyrights of the original work's copyright holder.
The Creative Commons non-profit group created the ccMixter website to provide remixers with creative material licensed for remixers to use with permission. A number of netlabels have similarly used liberal licensing to facilitate remixing."

In this special case (tv shows or/and adds RMX), several notions are included:

1. if it's designed as a "critic", it comes to "caricature and illustration" rights, means that you are allowed (in France, you have got to see in your countries too), to imitate, reproduce, deform, any person's art if it's relevant in the making of your artwork. If it's illustration, your only obligation is to give a list of all the references.
Means: you can't take someone's artwork making the audience think its yours, even and furthermore if you modifiate it a little bit, EXCEPT if the subject of your art is aimed on this, for example for an art about "elephants", your can use various elephants artworks, and list somewhere all the references. If your artwork is aimed on "The Love Song" of "Baboo" (example, for showing how it changed the world), you can use some parts of The Love Song to explain your point.

2. Depends how it's done but for most of the TV parts we can use,
- if it's old, the "law righter owners" may not be very concerned about it (it's not the same with any commercial/well known actual artists)
- if some sentences in movies or shows are used, I don't think any of people who said it can say anything for short extracts

3.This "RMX mix" for web promo of the label, not for selling only. As I'm gonna do the banners for the forum, I can derivate the final mix or tracks in several videos, with the name of the label, the adress of the website, a short description of the RMX project and/or of the artist involved in the part I mix... And everyone to spread it's favorite on his website :)
"And now ladies and gentleman/advertising music/a mixed shout/sounds ... Mockradar - esoteric eclectic electronics projects / image of a TV show used in the mix/ brief description of the artist(s)/ RMX project released on MockRadar.com / etc..."

well, long post [mik]
<coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee>
<working on MR banners>
Mina
Founder

Postby Vojeet » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Thank you for the fast response. In Germany it is also very complicated, but f*ck... .

Nevertheless, count me in. Don't have time to bring up some ideas, I have to finish the projects for the MR-releases. [blush]
Vojeet
El Capitan

Postby Cheomap » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Mina, you rock [respect]
well, it all sounds good. i'm enlightened a bit on the subject.
So, would we be able to call this a 'music collage'? if all contributing artists kept reference of mentioned sample usage? Like a "Musical T.V Collage Time Capsule", with a listed reference at the end of the visual set.... haha
reference credits [pardon]
Cheomap
Founder

Postby Mina » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:55 pm

"Musical TV Collage Time Capsule", I love this name!

I'm definitely on the idea about making some video montages for MR promo! I can't wait to hear the first subscriptions !!! [drinks]

Who's gonna make the final mix?
Mina
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborations